Creating a unique home space is one of the most personal expressions you can undertake. Living at the coast provides you with some unique backgrounds for discovering and nurturing your style, but it can be a challenge narrowing down your choices. Here are some great tips (brought to you by Coastal Living Magazine) to consider when picking colors for your home.
- Take in your surroundings. What colors do you see off your porch (blue hues, palm greens, sandy neutrals)? Pick colors you’d want to build on or enhance.
- Consider your style personality (nautical, modern, or traditional) and what you like to wear. Each style has a palette of colors that speak to that look.
- Consider the mood you’d like to convey for your home and find hues that represent your personal flair. Keep these things in mind:
- Bold – Brighter colors like mauve and teal are great
- Carefree – Think cool greens, turquoise or orange
- Relaxed – Neutrals are the way to go here. (whites, creams, and beiges)
And if the thought of being your own decorator is not your thing, but you’d love to have a signature look for your home, consider hiring an expert. There are a ton of very talented interior decorators in the Wilmington area. Here are a few to check out:
- A Space to Call Home
- Big Sky Design
- Carolina Sold by Design
- Dezign Inspirations
- Just Perfect! Home Staging + More
We spoke with Jennifer Hardee from Salty Girls Home Design and she told us that teal, aqua, and navy are the colors that are trendy right now in home decor. She also told us that coastal decoration has many different interpretations from rustic (think weathered wood) to modern coastal with sleek lines (think navy/tans/white) to shabby chic (mostly neutrals and nautical items). Her decorating philosophy is to buy local (from furniture to art to knick-knacks) and she loves Uptown Market, Custom Home Furniture Galleries, and Polka Dot Palm. Jennifer and her business partner Lisa Warlick have over 10 years of experience creating custom spaces and would love to tackle your design challenges. Call Jennifer at 910-599-6215 to schedule your design consultation today.